This is the "Delmont Drive" page

... memories of another time and place. That time was many warm summer evenings ago. The place was the street corner post at Delmont and Grandview. This post was "home" for our games of "circle-dot".

I believe it was Rusty that taught us the rules of circle-dot. I can't remember them all but this was a hide and seek type game where one person ("it") would hide their eyes against the post and one of the others would make a circle with a dot in the center with their finger on the back of "it". If "it" guessed who made the circle-dot correctly, then the circle-dotter would be "it" for the game. If you guessed incorrectly, then you remained "it". Please don't ask me how the first "it" was selected 'cause I can't remember that foggy detail. We probably did "one potato, two potato, three potato, four". Jerry Durham taught us to select someone using the potato method.

I recall the morning when I woke up and no one was in the House except Me and Mrs. McCoy, who lived across the street.  Mrs. McCoy said that everyone else had gone to get my new Sister.  The only thing that I remember about that New Sister when she came home was that she came with pails of diapers that smelled of some kind of deodorizer (moth ball smell?) and Lullaby Diaper Service became a regular visitor to the house just like Dutch Oven Bakery and the Standard Coffee man.


I was wondering what ever happened to Jerry Durham, Bruce Baker, Phil Haffen, Butchie Poss, Penny Jordan, Donnie Tomlin, Carol Barnes and her little sister (what was her name.....she accidentally hung herself on a iron cord on the back porch and the maid rescued her?)….oh,yeah! Becky wasn‘t it?

What happened to JoAnn Stancil? I think Meredith...pardon me...Tootsie said some time ago that she heard that JoAnn had been in a motorcycle accident and lost a leg. Gosh! No one in the old gang ever had any thoughts about anything like that happening to any of us.

Charlie Adams was last seen singing in Buckhead at a Club called "The Party" years ago back before Buckhead became what it is today.

Babs Richardson lived up on the corner of Delmont and Lookout Place. Minka and I saw Babs at the last North Fulton Class Reunion...She's Babs Pirkle now and Babs looks fabulous!

Donnie Tomlin lived on Lookout. He was one of Rusty's classmates.

Chan Barrett lived up on Brentwood. Chan's little brother, Hank was in Tootsie's class. He always was picking on Tootsie and our Mother told his Mrs. Barrett to keep her little animal away from her daughter! Chan had an older brother...oh, what was his name? Phil?  No, Phillip was Chan's first name.

Summers ... circle-dot ... throwing rocks in the air and watching bats chase them ... huge flocks of swifts going to their nests in the chimneys of North Fulton High School, their noise almost deafening ... a big fire in the row of stores in Buckhead just to the right of the Hawk's Drugstore ...going to Hawk's with Jerry and ordering a cherry coke from Herb ... Me and Rusty walking up to Central Chevrolet to look at the 57's ... Mother going to lunch with Mrs. Williams at Harts in Buckhead ... going with Mother to the Paradise room downtown near Davison's to see some entertainer, I think a woman doing a magic show or something. I had to dress up and even wear a coat and tie and it was not even Church.

Rusty, Jerry and I would go to the Buckhead Theater on Saturday's to see a movie.  We went to the Buckhead Theater.  There was always a full house and the ushers had quite a time trying to keep us all under control.  I remember stomping on a paper cup after I'd finished my Coke to make a loud bang.  I timed it just right when a Marine on the screen was probing for mines.  The whole place jumped, then burst out laughing.  All of a sudden there was a big old Usher standing at the end of our row looking directly at me and asking "Ok, now, who did it?"  I denied it to the end - after kicking the evidence away from my feet.


Buckhead Theater 1955


Saturday mornings....going up to the Buckhead Bowling Alley with Paul Alcorn to bowl "duckpins".  We'd set them ourselves - there were no automatic pin setters in those days.  They had guys to set the pins for regular bowling games (Saturday mornings, we were the only people in there and they's let us bowl for a quarter all morning as best I can remember but we had to set our own pins.)  I think Larry Garner's mother managed that Bowling Alley.


Mammy's Shanty .... Southern Cooking with the Pickaninny Coffee Shop next door.  The Pickaninny had the best pecan pie!

Crossroads at Peachtree and Spring - all you could eat lobster tails for $7.00.

The Buckhead Hobby Shop.  Buying on e of the original Matchbox miniatures.

The original Pizza Hut in Buckhead when pizza was a relatively new thing to Buckhead.  What was the name of that Italian Place on Peachtree a couple of doors down from Pharr Rd?  The used to advertise it on WQXI radio with a jingle that ended with "mama buy a pizza pie for me". John Fulton's dad managed WQXI radio.  The station was on Matheson Drive - in an old house, the first on the right as you turned onto Matheson off Peachtree - rioght across from Peachtree Road Presbyterian Church.  The drugstore was on the corner and the White House grill was in the middle of that shopping strip.


Mother a leader in Brownie Scouts. I usually had to go along to the Brownie meetings 'cause Mother wouldn't leave me at home alone. I was in the Cub Scouts Den 5, Pack 74 at St. Phillips and won the top prize at the talent show playing the accordion. the prize was a rectangular metal box with a handle at one end painted with the American Flag. When you twirled this thing in the air it played the "Star Spangled Banner" or some other patriotic tune. I ended up taking this thing apart to see how it worked - it had a broad rubber belt that rotated when you spun it and little fingers molded into the belt plinked a row of metal tuned reeds. It was a simple time with simple minature computer LED's flashing on the outside. Just twirl it and it played.


Could the girl in the second row between Nancy Marshall and Diane Dendy by Jane Buchannen?

I had to stay in the bed for a year when I contracted  Nephritis (kidney disease) from a strep-throat. I was six years old and Nonnie took me to the Shrine Circus down at the old City Auditorium in the rain. She always said that getting wet and cold caused that strep throat.

I missed first grade because of Nephritis. I was in first grade only a very short time when it struck.

Miss (Mrs?) Maroni was my first grade teacher at Garden Hills for a week or two before I got sick. My only memory of Ms. Maroni's class was John Fulton skipping sround the class room singing "Ms.Macaroni and Cheeeese...Ms. Macroni and Cheeeese".

I remember being afraid of Miss Paden - I had her for first grade when I got well and went back into the first grade. I was always a grade behind for my age. Miss Paden was a stern stereotypical school marm with her hair back in a bun and a hachet face and very correct utility type shoes. But you know what? She showed us how to do the right stuff and was actually the best start a kid could wish for in school. I truly believe that she's teaching the angel children in heaven today. I look forward to seeing her again someday so that I can thank her.

Let's see...Miss Paden, first grade - Mrs. Woodruff, second grade - Mrs. Littlejohn, third grade - Mrs. Drew, fourth grade - Mrs. Porter, Jackie Porter's mom, fifth grade - Miss Swain with her 195? red Ford Convertible, sixth grade - Mrs. Davis, seventh grade.

Hey, Tootsie! Do you remember "scuse me fellers, I gotta go tee tee" at the back door of the house when you left the group of us who had been playing in the back yard.

What became of Bonnie McMillan? ....her dad owned a steakhouse on spring street...our Mamma and Daddy went there once... Harry’s?

How about Donna ...who? I have an old tape of your birthday party a Bagley Park... DONNA GORDON! Yes. Donna Gordon…she sneaked over to the microphone and said that she was the "Phantom of the ...something".

I guess I'm getting really old...I'm past sixty  now...hard to believe....I wouldn't take anything for the memories. I can remember thinking that fifty was really getting on up there. Nonnie was fifty and fifty was a long way down the's in the rear view mirror now.

Daytona Beach and then later Jekyl Island vacations were something I looked forward to almost as much as Christmas. Daddy always took us out of school a week early so that we could get the cheaper apartment rates before June first.

Man! It was a long, hot drive to Daytona Beach in that old Nash! No air conditioner - hot, deep wool seats that swallowed you up in a sweaty blanket in the heat of the last week in May in South Georgia and Florida. There were no interstates, so you went down two lane highways to Macon, Jesup, Waycross, Jacksonville and man, those rains we got into on the road. The old Nash would drown out and we'd sit, stranded on the side of the road. steaming like clams in a stewpot while Daddy dried out the ignition. We'd stop at Stuckey's and B Lloyds. ...always had to get a rubber alligator. There was no fast food - you'd go into restaurants and cafes. Even Stuckey's didn't have a food counter.


Nonnie, Mother, Meredith (Tootsie), and Grandma Nora at Jekyll


I caught a mackerel in an inner tube on the beach at Jekyll.
We were staying at the Jekyll Estates Motel. I saw a big fish splashing around in the shallow surf and got my inner tube and put it down over it keeping it confined until someone, I think it was Mother, went to our apartment and got a trash can from the kitchen. I scooped it up and put it in the shower where we kept it cool with cold water until we could all get ready to go out to eat. We took this fish to the Deck Restaurant, just over the Bridge, where they gutted it, took my picture and then served it to us for dinner. I later heard that photo stayed in the Jekyll Chamber of Commerce for a number of years under the desk top glass in front.

TooTootsie sent an email:

And I do remember Bonnie McMillan but it was Melinda McWilliams whose father
owned Harry's, I believe. Bonnie was the one who told me she went to Snake
School every week so I told her that was nothing because I went to Alligator
School every week. She lived on Darlington. Donna Gordon
talked me into shaving my legs in seventh grade not long after mama died.
Nonnie about had a heart attack.

Do you remember when Trippy and other dog friends trapped a possum one night
in the Durhams garage. We all went running up there and I remember I was
scared because the possum showed its teeth.

Do you remember walking up to the(I think it was called) the Handy Mart.
We'd get fireballs and something like Lik-m-Aid - it came in a little purple
packet and I loved that stuff. I think some lady named JoAnn worked there.

Do you remember playing outside in the summer and having to go in long
enough to eat supper and being so hot it was hard to eat and hurrying -
"gobbling" as mama used to say - so we could run back outside? And Nonnie
and Mrs. McCoy sitting in the yard in those metal chairs and talking until
dark? And then the lightning bugs would come out and we'd catch them and put
them in jars?

I remember we watched some TV but not that much compared to what kids watch
these days but one show I can't find anyone else who remembers - there was
some little puppet type character who said "Pluck your magic twanger,
Froggy". What show was that? Did I dream it?

I remember you had a friend, Grover Swilley, whose father was pastor at
Second Ponce de Leon I think and I had a mad crush on him when I was little.
I'd get so nervous when he would be coming over. That is so funny to
think about.

Do you remember the hot dogs they sold at the Garden Hills pool? They were
steamed in the bun it seems. They were the best in the world. I also
remember We'd have to walk in some little yucky pool of water to get into
the dressing room. I suppose that was to wash off our feet or something.
And there was some building across from the pool where people had parties. I
think it was a brown building. And the piano teacher lived up the street
from the pool. And some guy your age, Paul Alcorn or something who lived
near the pool who was on a rollercoaster that caught fire or something?

Do you remember when you and some guys, I can't remember who, and Trippy and
I went too (of course I went - I remember I had a nickname of "Tagalong") to
play softball on the playground at Garden Hills and the ball bounced and
caught trippy under the chin and his teeth went through his tongue? What a
thing to remember. Trippy was such a good dog. I remember feeding him dog
biscuits one time - he'd chomp off a bite and then I'd chomp off a bite.
They didn't have much taste. His tongue was part black and part pink cause I
suppose he was part chow.

Summer was by far my favorite time of year. We'd be hot and dirty when it
was time to come in at night and mama would say we'd at least have to wash
our feet before bed. I can remember being so sweaty and dirty she'd say I
had "beads" around my neck (just dirty sweat) but I thought that was so
funny. Do you remember the furnace in the floor right at the telephone in
the hall? Mama would be talking on the phone and her skirt would flow out
over the furnace while she talked. Do you remember her freezing peaches in
the summer time? I remember eating a stick of butter dipped in the sugar
bowl. I remember garbage men came into the backyard back then to pick up
the trash and Nonnie fed them leftovers.

I'm hoping lots more stuff will come to me and I'll jot them down and then
email them. This is fun. I hope someone from the old days will come across
the Delmont page.

I better go to bed! I gotta go to work tomorrow.


Hey, Tootsie, JoAnn Stanncil's Mother worked at the Handy mart...and I sure do remember Trippy getting hit in the mouth with that was Donnie Tomlin who hit the ball. I ran home with Trippy following and bleeding and Nonnie put a cold rag on his mouth and he was as good as new! I ran home quickly with him because Trippy and I both knew Nonnie would know what to do. I also ran home immediately so the guys would not see the tears streaming down my face. I thought the world would end right then and there when I saw that blood gushing from Trippy's mouth. Nonnie changed that in a moment with a soft word and a kind touch. Donnie came by a little later and you could see that he felt real bad about what had happened.

Rusty's dog was Sandy. Sandy used to chase the Jeep that made deliveries for the Drug Store that was near the Garden Hills Theater. Sandy would try to bite at the tires of the Jeep. One day she bit one and that was the end for her. I guess Rusty went out to the street to get her. I went the other way because I couldn't face Rusty after such a great loss. I did not feel as bad about Sandy as I felt bad for Rusty. Rusty was my very close friend and something that hurt him hurt me.

I know why God gave us Grandmothers: A refuge in a storm, a healing touch and a reassuring word in times of stress. Nonnie was the Rock that we could cling to.  She always knew what to do. The only time I ever saw Nonnie when she was not the Rock of Gibraltar was when our Mother died. We were all at her bedside on Delmont and watched as Jesus called her home. Dr. Stewart, her Cancer Specialist, was there, too and said "she's gone" and Nonnie wailed "My Baby!"

The words still ring in my ears. I thought that my world had ended and I'd fallen off a cliff. That moment changed me. I had seen that my Rock, Nonnie to which I clung had a crack in it and was indeed Human with all the Human emotions and frailties
that we sometimes try to hide in order to reassure others and keep them feeling safe in a storm. I felt utterly alone at that moment. I had no Nonnie to turn to right then for a soft word and a kind touch.


East Paces Ferry 1954



1954 Roswell and Peachtree looking North



Lester Maddox stood out front with a pick handle.



Peachtree Road Presbyterian is on the right.



Peachtree Road Presbyterian is on the left.


My earliest memory of Grandma Nora is of her working at "The Stocking Shop" in the Peachtree Arcade. She was a stocking (ladies hosiery) reweaver. Ladies stockings would get "runs" in them and in those days stockings were an item of clothing that were cared for. Today there are "pantyhose" that are disposable.

Mama would take me down to spend some time with Grandma Nora at the Stocking Shop and this gave her time for Circle meetings at the Church and other mysterious things that I did not know about. I remember visualizing Circle Meetings at the Church as being ladies sitting around a circle drawn on the floor of a room in the Church and having some kind of ceremony or something mysterious.

The railroad tracks ran behind Grandma Nora's work room in the back of the Stocking Shop and the tracks were two levels below the window in the back of her room. The railroad ran two levels down in an area that is now known as Underground Atlanta. The giant steam locomotives would pull long trains through bealching smoke and soot from their coal fired boilers and I can still remember the coal smoke smell and the excitement of looking down at the top of a giant locomotive crawling through this gulley like a huge almost horrible snake. Occasionaly you could hear the steam whistle's deafening howl invading every surrounding building. I can smell that smoke even now as I write this.